Welcome to the South Stack lighthouse..
South Stack Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1809, marking a tiny islet off Anglesey at the north west tip of Wales. Newly reopened for 2017
The historic South Stack Lighthouse is located on a small island reached via a descent of 400 steps down the steep mainland cliffs. South Stack Rock lies separated from Holyhead Island by 30 metres of turbulent sea, surging to and fro in continuous motion. The coastline from the breakwater and around the south western shore is made of large granite cliffs rising sheer from the sea to 60 metres.
Visitors may tour the former lighthouse engine room before climbing to the top of the lighthouse. South Stack is a wonderful place to watch thousands of breeding seabirds including guillemots, razorbills and puffins.
Tours of South Stack Lighthouse are organised by South Stack Ynys Lawd Ltd. under licence from the Corporation of Trinity House.
South Stack Lighthouse Visitor Centre Guidance:
1. wear sensible flat shoes with heel strap or boots.
2. Children are very welcome, but they must be at least 1.1 metres in height and physically capable of ascending and descending the staircases by themselves unaided.
3. children / babies must not be carried up the lighthouse tower.
4. take care on uneven floors…
5. the stairs are steep
6. Dogs are not permitted on the island.
7. there are no public toilets on the island
8. no picnics allowed on the island
but most of all, Enjoy your visit.
All views and opinions expressed here belong to South Stack Ynys Lawd Ltd and do not represent Trinity House or any other person or organisation.